The museum in the Weimar Palace dates back to 1921.
In the 1980s, a modern annex was added to the main building. The permanent exhibition in our "Asmat House" provides interesting insights into the culture and lifeworld of the Asmat, an ethnic group in West New Guinea. The museum's boat collection can be seen in the arcades at Neckarmünzplatz.
The Palais Weimar, home of the foundation and the museum, is one of Heidelberg's oldest city residences. Built at the beginning of the 18th century, it looks back on an interesting and eventful history. It is named after its penultimate owner, Prince Wilhelm of Saxony - Weimar - Eisenach, from whom Victor Goldschmidt acquired it in 1921 to house and exhibit the museum collections; the first exhibition took place in 1924.