The Providence Church in the heart of the old town belongs to the Evangelical Church in Baden.
It was destroyed in the great city fire in the context of the Palatinate War of Succession in 1693, but rebuilt after 1700. The Providenzkirche is a single-aisle hall church with a roof turret. At first it did not have a tower - it was given one on the north side after the reconstruction in 1717. The interior is surrounded by a gallery on three sides. At the end of the 19th century, the interior was completely rebuilt, a bright church hall was created in the neo-renaissance style. Heidelberg's oldest organ is in the Providenzkirche. It comes from the workshop of the master organ builder Matthias Burkard.
Heidelberg and in general the whole area of the Electoral Palatinate mainly adhered to the Reformed creed. In 1821 the Reformed and Lutherans united to form the Church of the Union. The Providence Church would also like to set an example for freedom of belief and freedom in belief.
In addition to the Heiliggeistkirche, the Providenzkirche is the second main church of Protestant Christians in Heidelberg.