The Peterskirche is the oldest surviving church in Heidelberg's old town.
Between 1485 and 1496 the late Gothic St. Peter's Church was built by Chancellor Alexander Bellendörfer. The university chapel was added in the late 15th century. At the beginning of the 18th century, the church was rebuilt in the baroque style under Johann Jacob Rischer.
1863 - 1870 the neo-Gothic conversion ("new building") took place under Ludwig Franck-Marperger and expansion into a three-aisled hall church. In 1883 the "Luther Oak" was planted on the east side to commemorate Luther's 400th birthday.
Due to the close relationship between St. Peter's Church and the university, the university's founder Marsilius von Inghen was buried here; his grave is no longer preserved today.