It is made of Neckar valley sandstone and was built by Elector Karl Theodor in the 18th century.
On March 29, 1945, one of the last days of the war, German soldiers blew up the Heidelberg Neckar Bridges and the Old Bridge. Thanks to a donation campaign that was lively supported by the citizens, reconstruction could begin on March 14, 1946. The inauguration took place in July 1947.
There are two sculptures on the bridge, one is Elector Karl Theodor and the other is the Roman goddess Minerva (Greek: Pallas Athene).
The Elector's monument stands closer to the southern bank of the Neckar. The figures depicted on the two-tier plinth around the monument symbolize the most important rivers in the areas ruled by Karl Theodor: Rhine and Moselle, Danube and Isar.
The promotion of art and science was very important to the elector. That is why the second monument is dedicated to the goddess of wisdom.
The bridge patron Johannes Nepomuk is depicted on the north bank of the bridge.