The Haus zum Ritter St. Georg is the oldest preserved residential house in Heidelberg's Old Town.
The cloth merchant Carolus Belier and his wife Francina had the gabled house built in 1592 from hewn stone, full of fluted columns and ornately chiselled window blocks; today it is a protected monument. "Persta invicta, Venus" - "Always remain unconquered, beauty": in golden letters, these words are inscribed in the gable of the Renaissance building.
There is no record of how many alterations the interior of the house may have undergone in its eventful history. However, at all times, the respective owners were aware of this task, even when designing the rooms behind the magnificent facade. In 1681, the building, which was the only one to survive all the wars and fires in Heidelberg, was first mentioned as an inn.
The architectural beauty and elegance of the Renaissance building make the Romantik-Hotel Ritter St Georg the most beautiful historical and equally valuable townhouse in the city of Heidelberg.
And the charm of nostalgia is by no means exhausted in its magnificent garb - it accompanies the guest of the former merchant house through all rooms and into every corner of the house.