The Heiliggeistkirche, founded in 1398, is located in the heart of Heidelberg's old town.
The hall choir was completed in 1410, the building of the nave with the substructure of the tower under Ruprecht's son Ludwig III. in 1441. Ludwig III. laid the foundation for the later so famous Palatinate library, the BIBLIOTECA PALATINA, by having the first books set up in the galleries of the Heiliggeistkirche. During the reign of Ludwig V (1508-1544), when the most important palace buildings were built, the tower was further built and completed. In the course of the Reformation, the church changed several times between the Lutheran and Reformed Calvinist denominations. In 1563, the Heidelberg Catechism was created as a Reformed Confession. With the Thirty Years' War and the conquest of Heidelberg by Catholic troops, the city and the church became Catholic for many years and Pope Gregory XV read as spoils of war. bring the BIBLIOTECA PALATINA to Rome in 1623.
In the course of the Palatine-Orléans War of Succession, the church was badly damaged in 1693. Almost all of the grave slabs of the Electors of the Palatinate were destroyed, but that of the Elector Ruprecht II, the founder of the church, is preserved. Of the once 5,000 books and 3,524 manuscripts, only 885 were returned to Heidelberg in 1816, all the rest remained in the Vatican.
In the following two centuries, Catholic and Protestant alike asserted a claim to the church, so that, separated by a partition, the Catholic mass was celebrated in the choir and the Protestant service was celebrated in the nave. It was not until 1936, through the tireless efforts of the pastor of the Holy Spirit and later prelate, Pastor Hermann Maas, that an agreement with the Catholic Church came about; the church became the property of the Evangelical Church in Baden. For the Midsummer Festival in 1936, the Evangelical Holy Spirit Congregation celebrated service again for the first time in a church without a partition wall.
every Sunday at 11 a.m.
Midday prayers from Monday to Saturday at 12.30 p.m.
Monday - Saturday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sundays and public holidays 12.30 p.m. - 5 p.m.
(Special opening times during Advent)
Church tours take place on request, please call the parish office on +49 6221 21 117.
Enjoy the unique view over Heidelberg's old town from the 38 m high viewing platform. A total of 208 steps lead to the tower. It is possible to climb the tower during the visiting hours.
The visitors are asked for a donation.
Concerts in the Heiliggeistkirche
Organ short concerts:
Fridays, Sundays and public holidays at 5.15 p.m.
Heiliggeistkantor Christoph Andreas Schäfer & guests play 30 minutes of organ music from the Middle Ages to the modern.
€ 4, students € 2
Tickets at the box office from 5 p.m.
Church Music Hour:
every Saturday at 6.15 p.m.
Organ music - chamber music - choral music
Information on the dates and options for ordering tickets can be found on the website of the Kantorat at the Heiliggeistkirche in the old town of Heidelberg: www.kirchenmusik-heidelberg.de and www.studentenkantorei.de
TIP: Holders of the HeidelbergCARD receive a 20% discount for organ concerts and "hour of church music".