The church located opposite of the University Library's entrance is the oldest one preserved in Heidelberg's Old Town. It is assumed that the church was erected during the 12th century.
The close relations between the church and the university date back from the 14th century. Marsilius of Inghen, one of the university's founders, was buried on church ground, his tomb, however, is not preserved. The University Chapel, was added during a costly reconstruction of the church at the end of the 15th century.
Another point of interest is the oak-tree east of the chancel which was planted in 1883 in memory of Martin Luther's 400th birthday.