Events and activities in Heidelberg 2017
Varied, exciting and uniting: The events taking place in Heidelberg as part of the Reformation anniversary celebrations demonstrate how current Martin Luther and the basic ideas of the Reformation are even 500 years later.
- A varied program celebrating Heidelberg as a “European Reformation City”, from October 31, 2017 to the end of April 2018
The communities and institutions of the protestant church in Heidelberg have planned some 80 events throughout the city and suburbs to celebrate the anniversary. You can find the program outlined here.
- A concert for the Reformation Anniversary “Im Osten und im Westen“ (East and West) April 18, 2017 at 7.30pm in the Heiliggeistkirche (Church of the Holy Spirit)
An illustrated church concert in which musicians and audience, as they wander from east to west, can experience the spatial and acoustic dimensions of the church which was once divided into a Catholic and a Protestant half.
- Exhibition: “Aufs Maul geschaut – Mit Luther in die Welt der Wörter“ (“Mark my words – a close look at Luther’s world of words”) February 25 to March 26 2017, Heiliggeistkirche (Church of the Holy Spirit)
Martin Luther listened to the voice of the people when translating the bible from Latin – and in so doing made a significant contribution to the German language. The exhibition illustrates the dimensions and currency of his language in today’s world.
- Jazz Church Service "Von der Freiheit eines Christenmenschen" (The freedom of the christian person) “ May 14, 2017, 11am, Heiliggeistkirche (Church of the Holy Spirit).
In this service Martin Luther’s hymns will be freely interpreted
- Exhibition in the Kurpfälzisches Museum (The Palatinate Museum), 21 May to 22 October 2017: Popes –Princes – Professors – Reformers “Heidelberg und der Heilige Stuhl“ (“Heidelberg and the Holy See”)from the Reform Council of the Middle Ages to the Reformation
Parallel exhibition to the Popes Exhibition in the Reiss-Engelhorn-Museums in Mannheim from May 21 to October 31, 2017: „Die Päpste und die Einheit der lateinischen Welt“ (“The Popes and the Unity of the Latin World”)
- Baden Choral Festival in the Old Town, June 30 to July 2, 2017: “Die Reformation feiern mit Gesang“(“Celebrating the Reformation in Song”)
During the Choral Festival 2017,the regional state church and the choirs from all over Baden will sing their celebrations in the Reformation city of Heidelberg- at squares around the inner city, in churches in the Old Town, at church services and workshops, on choir walks and many other encounters.